logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages123>
Official Announcement from Rebellion' Senior Management on SE1 server issue
SteveHart
#1 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 11:01:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 439 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Official announcement from Rebellion' Senior Management:

"A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them.

For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free.

This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control.

We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year - far in excess of how much we were paying previously. We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider. Because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy’s middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

While we are not happy about the situation, as an independent developer we simply do not have the resources to pay the massive costs of new servers along with redeveloping a seven-year-old game.

We share the disappointment of fans who have played the game since it was published in 2005. This is not something we intended or wanted to happen, but unfortunately it has been beyond our control. We have always looked to support our fan community and we hope the past seven years of free multiplayer service have been evidence of that - we're sorry that the servers have been shut down in this way.

We would like to thank all the fans who have continued to support Rebellion and Sniper Elite."

Many Thanks,
Steve
5 users thanked SteveHart for this useful post.
martin on 12/7/2012(UTC), Scoopers on 12/7/2012(UTC), Chevy87swe on 12/8/2012(UTC), |10|lataupe on 12/9/2012(UTC), DRagon iT. on 12/11/2012(UTC)
Nickbond
#2 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 11:25:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi SteveHart.
It is logical for a product so long. You know if "steam" with his platform could join games on their servers taking the steam game?.
But you could always publicly using Tunngle lan-online. Would it be difficult to include a patch using something like Tunngle in Se1 automatically and users to be the servers?
It's something that would serve even future games (for example sev2 on 2030 xd).
Dyemor
#3 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 12:04:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I haven't used Tunngle myself, but a quick look at their website and forums suggests its a way for people to play multiplayer games using pirated/cracked copies of legitimate games...

I doubt Rebellion would want to support any sort of service like that.
Gor°Snnoopy
#4 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 12:12:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Gor°Snnoopy

#1 Posted : 07 December 2012 06:51:14(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 3 post(s)

slt a tous les sniper elite et voila on as la reponse enfin de steve qui nous anonce que nous somme sacrifier pour une raison d argent rebellion le savai depuis le depart je sui sure g mal au ventre de cette mauvaise nouvel et moi je fai la promesse de boicoter rebellion et je vous invite a faire de meme eux aussi doive mourire pour voir se que sa fai . g aprecier c 7 ans avec vous les team et les solo
et je ne me fai toujours pa au fete que je ne vous verez plus je vous vous souhaite de bonne fete et nous savons c qui nous reste a faire maintenant rebellion glu vous finirez en enfer nous les sniper elite allons y reservez votre place croyez moi
power 10 player
#5 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 12:26:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 8 post(s)
This proves once again that you do not buy expensive game so we can play online, because the server can close whenever you want, regardless that they were full of players...The pirat version is simpler- the closure of some servers do not need to cry over the issuing of money.
[BAT]>nesta
#6 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 12:29:23 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 7 post(s)
well...... bye bye Sniper Elite it was nice 6 years for me and my team playing it it was our favorite game i bought SEV2 on steam but SE1 will remain the best always
thanks rebellion for the last 6 years online i met a lot good friends online in this years ^^
Thanks all [BAT] Team (Nesta)
http://bat-clansnipers.webs.com/
4 users thanked [BAT]>nesta for this useful post.
martin on 12/7/2012(UTC), SteveHart on 12/7/2012(UTC), |10|lataupe on 12/9/2012(UTC), Mairtin (IRE) on 12/15/2012(UTC)
martin
#7 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 2:30:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I have to say, thanks SNIPER ELITE, thanks Rebellion for these seven years of great game, and I dont forget thanks to Sniper Elite I meet to many friends, we share many stories, joys and sadness of each of us, Thanks Sniper Elite, Thanks Sniper Elite Comunity for being there always, this is my little dismissed to a great mate of evenings & nights called Sniper Elite

Thanks Steve, Thanks Rebellion

THANKS SNIPER ELITE

Regards

VaSSili Z[4Reyes]

www.clan4reyes.es.tl
3 users thanked martin for this useful post.
SteveHart on 12/7/2012(UTC), Nickbond on 12/7/2012(UTC), |10|lataupe on 12/9/2012(UTC)
Elite27
#8 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 2:41:52 PM(UTC)

Gracias Rebellion por este maravilloso juego que al parecer ha llegado a su fin (en tabla de puntuaciones y multijugador.

Se agradece todo el apoyo que se nos ha dado a nosotros los fans por el servicio gratuito, no queda nada más dejarlo ir.

Sniper Elite 1 <3.

Aunque siempre se puede jugar en LAN no? si es así se podría jugar con cualquier simulador de LAN, ya sea Hamachi o Tunggle. Aún hay esperanzas
§TIGRE§TOYO§
#9 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 7:02:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 11 post(s)
alors c ça l afin nom de dieu j'ai mal au cœur d'entendre ça

merci beaucoup a tout les team et les solo merci a tous ce qui on jouer a ce jeu un jour par ce que ça ne serai pas un ci grand jeu sans eu je suie super déçu de la rébellion je n’achèterai plus des jeu de cher vous c pas que sont pas bien m sur tous
par ce que ce nait pas bien de profité des gent comme ça vous nous fait habituer a une chose et puy vous nous l enlever pour moi vous nous avé voler et c nous les victime
alors ne nous dite pas que vous été navré ni désoler aller au diable vous et glu et tous ce qui sont responsable de cette merdeCursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
Scoopers
#10 Posted : Friday, December 07, 2012 8:14:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It was a good run. I cant think of any FREE MP servers that have run that long. NOT to mention keep in mind that the servers was SUPPOSE to be shut down 3/4 years ago, BUT Rebellion stepped up to the plate and listen to the players and keep it going. Despite the LOSS they took, not to mention that money could have been spent ON SE2. So keep that in mind before you post. Not saying anyone said anything yet. Im sure that will change and NO you don't buy or are entitled to MP.

Also TUNNGLE isn't for "pirated" version only. I own 2 copies on STEAM/3 physical copies (PC/PS2) and Have played it on this. Its a good program and shouldn't be classified like that. EVEN if some people abuse it by using it for "pirated" games. Which is BS that what cause good ideas to turn into a "pirated" issue. Then they get banned and shut down and everyone suffers.
Make every shot count cause the one shot missed is the most regrettable.
2 users thanked Scoopers for this useful post.
Nickbond on 12/7/2012(UTC), SteveHart on 12/10/2012(UTC)
SonovaBitch|swe
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:15:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
What a nightmare! ok that is very sad day for me, i really love that game, For me it was the best game ever, so many nice guys even (bad sometimes)Laugh i met in game matches, and so much fun that guys/game give me, sometimes i play 12 hours only a short cigg and coffe brake sometimes, it was really so fun to play with all these wonderful maniacsLaugh it will never be the same again very sad, ok guys! thx all for the great matches you give me, hope too see you all in SEV2 instead, And thanks rebellion for the years of the game, SE1 will still be the best forever, very sad. //Freddy

1 user thanked SonovaBitch|swe for this useful post.
SteveHart on 12/10/2012(UTC)
Xinix
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:38:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We played Sniper Elite from the beginning, power 10 game with the first Clan of the game <DH> & oldguns, I have good friends lost along the way and good friends made, when DH split apart the =RO= familie take me in as one there own, i love my brothers Edutu, Dragos and Ghost...the best players ever and many thanx for wonderfull years!.

And all the others, MIssM, Nail ;) Machine Buffy, Predator RUS, Bifi, TNT El!te, Jack, 2Pac, and my big Croatian friend heheh he know ;)..all my Turkisch, Rus, Ro and Bulgarian friends,I love you mates 4ever.

Regard Xinix
1 user thanked Xinix for this useful post.
SepticSid
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:03:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Why is it that the French speaking players have to be so abusive about this?

Google translate does not make a very good job but I can see some abuse chucked at Rebellion for the issue.

Do these guys not understand how they have kept the servers open for free longer than they needed to and to continue to do so will cost lots of money that is not coming from you gamers?

Its a damn game guys, it was good while it lasted - now move on to another game.
SE2 is good enough to play instead of SE1.
Either that or setup big lan parties.
Have fun - its only a game. (pity not all can treat it as such).
1 user thanked SepticSid for this useful post.
Chevy87swe
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:53:52 AM(UTC)

SepticSid wrote:
Why is it that the French speaking players have to be so abusive about this?

Google translate does not make a very good job but I can see some abuse chucked at Rebellion for the issue.

Do these guys not understand how they have kept the servers open for free longer than they needed to and to continue to do so will cost lots of money that is not coming from you gamers?

Its a damn game guys, it was good while it lasted - now move on to another game.
SE2 is good enough to play instead of SE1.
Either that or setup big lan parties.

Offcourse SepticSid it cost money to run server, but at least am pay for the game like thousand other,so whats the deal,because game is 7 years old it is green light to shut down? dont you think after 7 year game should bring some dough enough to let the server should be open? Ok Steve has explain why so it is what it is.Think they do what they could for open server again. Anyway as for me who like play the game will missing many nice game matches with many nice friends VERY PITY, Also these days not all guys have money muscles or resources to make lan parties,or to buy powerful computer for play SEV2. Ok lets move forward, and i hope see all the old SE1 players in SEV2.
1 user thanked Chevy87swe for this useful post.
sone983ue on 12/10/2012(UTC)
sone983ue
#15 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 4:45:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Offcourse SepticSid it cost money to run server, but at least am pay for the game like thousand other,so whats the deal,because game is 7 years old it is green light to shut down? dont you think after 7 year game should bring some dough enough to let the server should be open? Ok Steve has explain why so it is what it is.Think they do what they could for open server again. Anyway as for me who like play the game will missing many nice game matches with many nice friends VERY PITY, Also these days not all guys have money muscles or resources to make lan parties,or to buy powerful computer for play SEV2. Ok lets move forward, and i hope see all the old SE1 players in SEV2.[/quote]

Chevy87swe I agree i many things with you about you said in your post but..........

SNIPER ELITE V1 FOREVER SNIPER ELITE V2 NEVER!!!!!

And also i think we should all boycott Glu games and NOONE should ever buy a legal copy of any Glu game in from now on.Why would we respect someone when he DON'T respect all of us.And we are talking here about hundred maybe even thousands of people who were playing this game EVERY day for almost 7 years.This game brought us together, we do not allow them to force us to separate those.I personally do not have the required PC configuration for V2 and when I have not played that game out of spite.They try to make us play it on the pretext that it is a 7 year old game, so what??? We love to play and I do not defend anyone if they want to play V2! Give us our right to choose not to decide you our place.I'm sick of this world today and what it's all about money, money is not the most important thing in our little lives, little things make the happiness and my happiness was until I could play V1 with my friends around the world, I know you will say you have LAN, Hamachi, Tunngle ..... f**k all of that, we have taken away my enjoyment when you shut down the server and no other options are not the same as playing on it I hope you will take some pleasure you like you like me meni.Ja what you're not on target either the Rebellion or Glu I appeal to everyone, I'm frustrated, and nothing personal, I did not mean to offend anyone, but I feel that way now and I believe that I am not alone
SovietWrath
#16 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:55:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Greetings,

Totally understand their decision.

However it is bitter sweet since I met my wife on that game.

Thanks,
Winner of both Sniper Elite 1 World Championships on Xbox Live #1 and #2 2 out of 2!
2 users thanked SovietWrath for this useful post.
SteveHart on 12/10/2012(UTC), martin on 12/12/2012(UTC)
Chevy87swe
#17 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 8:13:48 AM(UTC)

sone983ue wrote:

Offcourse SepticSid it cost money to run server, but at least am pay for the game like thousand other,so whats the deal,because game is 7 years old it is green light to shut down? dont you think after 7 year game should bring some dough enough to let the server should be open? Ok Steve has explain why so it is what it is.Think they do what they could for open server again. Anyway as for me who like play the game will missing many nice game matches with many nice friends VERY PITY, Also these days not all guys have money muscles or resources to make lan parties,or to buy powerful computer for play SEV2. Ok lets move forward, and i hope see all the old SE1 players in SEV2.

Chevy87swe I agree i many things with you about you said in your post but..........

SNIPER ELITE V1 FOREVER SNIPER ELITE V2 NEVER!!!!!

And also i think we should all boycott Glu games and NOONE should ever buy a legal copy of any Glu game in from now on.Why would we respect someone when he DON'T respect all of us.And we are talking here about hundred maybe even thousands of people who were playing this game EVERY day for almost 7 years.This game brought us together, we do not allow them to force us to separate those.I personally do not have the required PC configuration for V2 and when I have not played that game out of spite.They try to make us play it on the pretext that it is a 7 year old game, so what??? We love to play and I do not defend anyone if they want to play V2! Give us our right to choose not to decide you our place.I'm sick of this world today and what it's all about money, money is not the most important thing in our little lives, little things make the happiness and my happiness was until I could play V1 with my friends around the world, I know you will say you have LAN, Hamachi, Tunngle ..... f**k all of that, we have taken away my enjoyment when you shut down the server and no other options are not the same as playing on it I hope you will take some pleasure you like you like me meni.Ja what you're not on target either the Rebellion or Glu I appeal to everyone, I'm frustrated, and nothing personal, I did not mean to offend anyone, but I feel that way now and I believe that I am not alone
[/quote]

Good words!
Yeah boycott Glu gamesBigGrin
2 users thanked Chevy87swe for this useful post.
sone983ue on 12/10/2012(UTC), SonovaBitch|swe on 12/13/2012(UTC)
DRagon iT.
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:09:55 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 7 post(s)
from the day that the official servers have been closed I have not played a lot more, many people experience problems using other methods, and then you lost a lot as a meeting point for people everywhere, it was also nice sometimes to find new people who needed a hand to better learn to play and make new friends
this was also sniper elite for us, the dragonsniper Team in Italy and after many years we were still there for those who wanted to get in the game something more than just a game.
With respect and fairness
I can say thank you to the rebellion for allowing all of us to play together easily, veterans and novices
as long as it lasted
thanks and goodbye sniper elite
thanhs steve for the help

°Ð®@gön°Taurus™

1 user thanked DRagon iT. for this useful post.
SteveHart on 12/11/2012(UTC)
sone983ue
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:04:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
For all of you Sniper Elite "players",all you had to say is thank you this,thank you that,Who you thank you and for what??Seven years thrown down the wind,I think you all surrendered so easily.THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION for V1 to be great again just how he is.You all move along so easily.I am sad but i wanna fight until the end.I can't believe it yet.You are mostly a clan players,so you have to got even more reason to fight for it harder than this.I'd like you to experience the same with V2,in 2,3,4,5 years...but I'll hope it wasn't last so long like V1.What do you gonna do then,move along or fight for you rights???They took your server once,what guarantess you have it will NOT do it again.Think about all the time playing V2,and enjoy playing it off course :)))))))))
bobz1993
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:45:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Figured I'd post this on the forum for the actual game.
I've been part of a group bringing back abandoned PS2 games (ps2onlinegaming.com) and with this GameSpy meltdown have been making attempts at PC where I can.

I've made a few hex edits to the main exe to use an alternate server (OpenSpy). Things seem to be working, but noone has tested a game yet since I just finished this and it seems like an important aspect to me...

You can download the exe @ http://www.mediafire.com/?yxadn9o6b5sqddx

Feel free to back up your exe prior to putting this in your folder. It has been modded from a fresh install.

Post back with results.

Also game status is available @ http://bobzent.info/osst...get.php?game=sniperelpc

And just to let you know, this isn't any kind of LAN tunneling... It is providing an alternate set of servers in place of GameSpy.

UPDATE(12/18 6:30PMEST)
New version requested by Marmot on my site.

http://www.mediafire.com...load.php?j66ecyp91n9op1j
6 users thanked bobz1993 for this useful post.
DRagon iT. on 12/15/2012(UTC), Stefos on 12/16/2012(UTC), toumvas on 12/16/2012(UTC), power 10 player on 12/16/2012(UTC), Gor°Snnoopy on 12/16/2012(UTC), Nervbert on 12/25/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed